Bradfer-Lawrence - a rather different kind of collection

About Yorkshire Archaeological Society

Yorkshire Archaeological Society logo
Yorkshire Archaeological Society was established in 1863 to preserve and conserve the history and archaeology of the historic county of Yorkshire. It originally served the Huddersfield area only, operating under the name of the Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association. The current name was adopted in 1893 and since 1896 its headquarters has been in Leeds. In its earliest days objects of interest and documents were lent to the Society for recording or transcribing but soon donations and bequests of books and manuscripts were being received. When a proper strong-room was constructed (in one of its earlier locations) the Society was in a position to be recognised by the Master of Rolls as suitable for the deposit of manorial records, and following that, even more records were received, often through the British Records Association. Its library and archives now contain a magnificent collection of printed and manuscript material relating to the history and archaeology of Yorkshire.
The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal is published annually. It contains wide-ranging articles and book reviews on all aspects of the history and archaeology of Yorkshire and is distributed free to all full members of the Society.

 

 

leather-book

scroll open